“Olympics – A lifetime of training for just ten seconds.”
Jesse Owens, (Athlete, 1936 Summer Olympics
We’ve Got Olympic Fever!
With the 2014 Winter Olympics taking place in Sochi, Bucks County Opportunity Council has been reminded of a few special hearts going for the gold right here in Bucks County.
We’re not talking about curling or cross-country skiing, we’re talking about our volunteers, providing on-the-ground support in our continuing battle against local poverty. Don’t believe us? Check out the stats our volunteers racked up in 2013:
- Bucks County Opportunity Council volunteers logged a whopping 2,050 hours of service! This includes everything from pulling weeds, data entry, delivering food, preparing tax returns, staffing our tables at events, sorting & counting gifts and many more tasks that add up to supporting our community!
- Over 1,100 tax returns completed by Buck$Back volunteers! Thanks to this incredibly hardworking group, Bucks County residents saved on filing fees and earned tax credits to the fullest they were eligible for. This service kept more than $1.2 million dollars in the pockets of Bucks County families, and they have our volunteers to thank!
- More than 25,000 pounds of fresh fruit and vegetables were cultivated from the Hope of the Harvest Garden, with 100% of the produce supporting local food pantries. Our volunteers endured the heat to complete the weeding, picking, harvesting and distribution of the garden’s produce. Many local families would not have access to locally grown produce without this volunteer-fueled initiative!
- Volunteers and donors helped 102 families have a holiday to remember this past December, with over $80,000 in gifts through our Adopt-A-Family program. Our volunteers dutifully collected the donations, sorted them and distributed them to the families!
- Our Food and Nutrition Network pantries had 1,000 volunteers donate an astounding 59,180 hours of service!
And how could we forget, our 20 clients that graduated from poverty permanently in October 2013? These are 20 Bucks County families that worked to successfully declare their freedom from welfare, subsidized housing and food assistance. They could not have done it without the support of Bucks County Opportunity Council, and we could not have helped them without our volunteers providing support in all of our programs every day!
We’re also pleased to announce that the incredible momentum our volunteers generate has already gotten rolling for 2014! Buck$Back has already launched its tax return preparation season, with volunteers on hand in Warminster, Levittown and Perkasie prepared to return some bucks to Bucks County! We also have volunteers in our administrative office in Doylestown making phone calls several days a week to schedule tax appointments. We also have volunteers coming in to complete other administrative duties to support our mission!
Save the Date!
We could not be more proud what our volunteers accomplished last year. But like the Olympian athletes, we want to do even better! To help us exceed our goals, we are holding our first ever Volunteer Orientation!
Tuesday, March 4th, 2014, 9am-11am
Bucks County Opportunity Council – Administrative Office
100 Doyle Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
Refreshments will be served.
Are you a new volunteer? Have you volunteered with us for years? Have you never volunteered with us before? We want all of you to join us to discuss our goals and volunteer opportunities for 2014. Want to come? Please RSVP to our Volunteer & Community Connections Manager, Eileen (firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-345-8175, ext. 209), no later than Wednesday, February 26th, 2014.
Are you not able to make it? We will have a second Volunteer Orientation during an evening or weekend to accommodate everyone’s schedules as best as we are able. We will announce the date and time for this meeting as soon as the information is confirmed.
Still Looking for Opportunities to Volunteer?
If you are ready to start volunteering NOW, we can accommodate you! Check out our newest volunteer opportunities below, and get in touch with Eileen if any of them strike your fancy!
Buck$Back Tax Preparer
We still need more preparers! Click HERE to learn about the requirements and begin training! If you are already certified, you can sign up HERE for shifts at each of our tax prep sites in Perkasie, Warminster & Levittown.
Bucks$Back Phone Schedulers
Our tax preparation appointments are in high demand, and we need help with our phones contacting clients and scheduling appointments!
PS….More Chances to Support Bucks County Opportunity Council
We were nominated for “Best Bucks Charity” again! Help us defend our 2013 title by voting for us online today! Just click HERE and vote as many times as you can! (One vote per email address) You can also reach out to your friends and family and ask them to vote for us!
Hunger Forum 2014
The Hunger Nutrition Coalition of Bucks County will be hosting the Hunger Forum on March 21st, 2014. We are inviting all of our volunteers & supporters to attend to learn about current hunger initiatives in Bucks County and celebrating the successes of bringing healthy & nutritious food to our neighbors. Register HERE!
“When anyone tells me I can’t do anything, I’m just not listening anymore.”
Florence Griffith Joyner (American athlete, 1988 Summer Olympics)