BCOC volunteers are a driving force for our organization. Whether you want to volunteer once, or help out on a regular basis, we value your time and experience. Check out our upcoming volunteer openings below for current volunteers.
New volunteer? Complete the Volunteer Application and send via EMAIL or MAIL to BCOC, 100 Doyle Street, Doylestown PA 18901.Ideas, questions? Contact our Volunteer and Community Connections Manager, Eileen Albillar at email@example.com or 215-345-8175 x209.
A-Day at Delaware Valley College, April 25, 26 & 27
Volunteers are needed to staff our sponsorship table at Delaware Valley College’s A-Day! If you’ve never been it is a great time! Volunteers will have free parking and meal vouchers, and can enjoy the fair before and after your shift!
About BCOC’s Table at the Event
BCOC is one of the sponsors of A-Day (Activity Day), and will have a table at the event, with information about our programs and services, particularly those that we run in cooperation with the college- the Hope of the Harvest Charitable Garden, and Adopt-A-Pantry. Your role would be to staff the table, hand out flyers, and encourage people to volunteer. The table may have one or more Ambassadors at the table per shift. You may be working the table alone, or with BCOC staff, or other BCOC volunteers. Shifts are two-hours each, during fair hours each day. Fair hours are: Friday 4/25 from 12 noon- 8 pm; Saturday 4/26 from 10 am - 7 pm; Sunday 4/27 from 10 am - 6 pm. Sign up in VicNet.
About A-Day at Del Val
“Delaware Valley College has been opening itself up to the public for this annual event, a favorite with many, since 1949. A-day is a student organized event that benefits the A-day Scholarship Fund. This family friendly community event is eagerly anticipated by the campus and community each year. A-Day, which stands for Activities Day, brings the campus and the surrounding community together for educational exhibits, competitions, entertainment, fun and great food. Exhibits and demonstrations involve a variety of majors at the college. A-Day is part of the Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs. Traditional and popular events are sure to interest every member of the family. Our delicious food, such as homemade thick milkshakes and funnel cakes are always popular. A-Day also brings in a variety of crafters and commercial exhibits.” Find out more on their website: http://www.delval.edu/events-campus-life/programs-activities/annual-events-traditions/a-day/about-a-day
Parking & Food
There is a $10 fee to park at the event, but BCOC will be happy to reimburse you for your parking if you volunteer. There are many food options at A-Day, and volunteers will receive a food voucher to purchase a meal (one per shift).
What You Can Expect To Do
• Ensure that display area and materials are neat, organized and in good working order. If you are the first volunteer of the day, you may have to pull out the flyers to set on the table.
• Distribute information about services and volunteer opportunities to fair-goers.
• Our goal is to familiarize people with our work and provide information about how fair-goers can get involved in making a difference in the community by volunteering. There will be chairs at the booth for your comfort. The most common interaction will likely be a smile, a brief greeting and distribution of a flyer or brochure. We are recruiting groups to conduct food drives for Adopt-A-Pantry, and volunteers for both Adopt-A-Pantry and the Hope of the Harvest Charitable Garden.
Volunteers of any experience are welcome! Because all volunteers have had various jobs and levels of experience with the Opportunity Council, the best way to make an impression is to speak from experience and share the reasons why you got involved. You can always get their information and let them know w BCOC staff member will contact them with information.
COMING SOON: Adopt-A-Pantry Shifts for May 27-30. Stay tuned for updates!
Year-Round and As-Needed Opportunities
- Administrative/Clerical - provide critical support by helping with basic data entry, filing and making calls to donors and volunteers.
- Food and Nutrition Network (FaNN) - Help our community with one of the most basic necessities: food. As a FaNN volunteer, you will assist with the pick-up, processing and delivery of food donations to pantries throughout Bucks County. Regularly scheduled and “on call” daytime opportunities are available throughout the year. Tasks may include distributing produce, gathering produce, publicity, recruiting or coordinating volunteers and data entry. FaNN Volunteers are also need for the Hope of the Harvest Charitable Garden - More than 22,000 pounds of fresh fruit and vegetables have gone to our food pantries already this summer. Thanks to all the hard work of the 140 community volunteers who have came out to transplant, weed, and harvest all summer. The 2013 season has ended, but we are recruiting volunteer for next year!
- Fundraising - Work in partnership with our staff to ensure that the Opportunity Council has the resources it needs to carry out its work well into the future. We need help with fundraising activities, including identifying, cultivating, and soliciting prospective donors.
- Holiday - One of our busiest times of year! Volunteers provide critical support during the season by assisting with our Adopt-A-Family Program, Give A Christmas Fund, annual mailings, gift sorting and delivery, and answering phones. Daytime shifts are available Monday through Friday during the holidays throughout the year.
- Special Event - Volunteers assist with all aspects of the Opportunity Council’s Economic Self-Sufficiency Graduation, which is the organization’s marquee annual special event. Activities include soliciting sponsors, driving ticket sales and attendance, and assisting with hospitality and logistics the night of the event.
- Driver Roster - we are accepting names for those of you who may be available on an as-needed or regular basis to help us pick-up and transport various items as they become available, such as frozen and packaged foods, resh produce, toys and holiday gifts, and other items as needed.